It’s that time of year again: Back To School. For moms everywhere, this is a daunting time. We have to organize, re-organize, and hopefully get everything together before the kids head out for the first day of school. Right? Well, I homeschool my 7yo and 4yo, but don’t let the word ‘homeschool’ fool you. There are back to school moments for us homeschoolers too, as you will see in this post.
K12 (http://www.k12.com/) is our choice for homeschooling and we LOVE it. We are provided with a curriculum, which is absolutely amazing. There are online classes where my 7yo interacts with his teacher and other students. And this year, he is going to attend two days of school so I need to get organized with my kids, the house, and blogging all before this starts. Here are the 5 steps I am taking to ease the back to school transition as a homeschooler.
5 Steps to Ease the back to school transition for Homeschoolers
- Organize the School Area. I set up a 9-cube organizer shelf to organize the school materials and whatnots so my 7yo can easily grab materials when needed. I also label each cube.
- Meal Planning. This is a vital step for my own transition. I have began writing out my lists for slow cooker meals, freezer meals, or quick but healthy meals.
- School Shopping. You might think ‘you homeschool, why school shop?’ Well, in my house, my boys have day wear and pjs. Plus both boys are leaving the house to attend school elsewhere. I have also started purchasing school supplies, like these dry erase boards, where my 7yo can check off completed lessons.
- Plan Field Trips. Here in Northern California, there are many places for field trips. There are nature trails in our area, museums to visit, hands-on activities my boys can participate in while walking to Target, or just going to the park. I plan outdoor activities , weather permitting.
- Utilize the Library and all of its Resources. My family and I LOVE the library. There are so many resources there, in addition to books. Over the summer, our local library had a Reading Bingo Challenge, with awesome prizes. This was just one example of all the fun activities the library provided over the summer.
These 5 steps can help the homeschooler as well as the traditional brick-and-mortar family. We all need to get organized before the kids are waving good-bye, right? HAPPY BACK TO SCHOOL EVERYONE!
Subscribe to Blog via Email